Welcome to the Rabun County Middle School counseling page! My name is Jessica Ward and I am your school counselor. I was fortunate to grow up in Rabun County and to now be raising my family here. I have my M.A.Ed. in School Counseling from Western Carolina University and my Ed. S degree from Valdosta State University.
The school counseling program is designed to be a comprehensive, developmental program and an integral part of the educational curriculum. Each part of the program is aimed at helping students learn and develop to their highest potential.
What is a School Counselor?
A minimum Master's level degree, certified, trained, and caring professional who works with all students, parents, teachers, staff and the community in order for every student to achieve academic and social success. School Counseling services are delivered in four specific ways:
- Classroom Counseling Curriculum- designing ,structuring, and delivering classroom lessons so that students develop specific outcome-driven competencies (personal/social, academic, career)and driven by the needs of the school population
- Individual Student Planning- assisting students with goal formation and planning (behavioral, academic, etc.)
- Responsive Services- meeting immediate student needs (counseling, crisis intervention, consultation, referral, peer mediation, information-providing)
- System Support- school wide program planning and consulting with other professionals, coordination of various supports for students and families
As the counselor at RCMS I will be…
- Providing individual and group counseling
- Coordinating the Mentor Program
- Coordinating social and emotional learning through classroom guidance lessons and by using the In Control SEL curriculum
- Providing additional classroom guidance lessons on career development, mental health awareness, sexual abuse and assault prevention, etc.
- Coordinating Richards Kids
- Coordinating the Food to Kids Program
- Coordinating a daily Check in/ Check out program for students needing extra support
- Participating in student conferences as needed
- REACH Scholar coach
- 504 coordinator
For assistance with any of these topics or for other information please feel free to contact me at 706-782-5470. I look forward to working with you!
706-782-5470 ext 3004