Our Fantastic Counselor
Meet Ms. Toneygay
Christina Toneygay - firstname.lastname@example.org
I have been a school counselor since 2016. Prior to being a school counselor, I was a teacher for 19 years. I began my teaching career in Southern California teaching 4th grade. Since then, I've taught 4th through 8th grades...being self-contained in Elementary Grades and focusing on Language Arts and Social Studies in the Middle Grades.
I grew up and went to high school in Leesburg, Georgia, but have had the opportunity to have lived all across the country...including Arkansas, California, and Florida. I graduated from the University of Arkansas at Little Rock in 1997 with my bachelors in Elementary Education. I earned my Master's in 2001 (National University, Costa Mesa, California) in education and my Specialist in School Counseling in 2012 (Argosy University, Sarasota, Florida).
I have one daughter and 3 dogs (2 chihauhuas and a Yorkie). My daughter (20) is a junior at Towson University in Maryland where she plays college softball. As a result, I consider myself a huge fan of college softball. There is nothing quite like watching an intense game on a hot summer day. I also enjoy playing with my dogs and taking them for walks in the neighborhood.
My favorite day at school is the first day - there is so much excitement in the air as a new year begins. I look forward to meeting and working with all of you!!
What I Do:
The Rabun County Elementary Counseling Program offers the following services to students and their families:
- Schoolwide classroom guidance lessons addressing such topics as empathy, self knowledge / self esteem, tolerance, bullying, peer relationships, personal safety, and drug awareness.
- Small group sessions for students who may need help with adjustments to change in family life due to divorce, death, remarriage, etc. Groups for students who may have difficulty with anger management and conflict resolution may meet weekly with the counselor.
- Children may see the counselor individually. Parents are encouraged to share with the counselor any possible problems, worries, fears, or traumas they feel may hinder their child's ability to learn and develop.
As your school counselor I assist in many areas. In addition to teaching classroom guidance sessions and meeting with small groups / individuals, I also assist in the following activities.
- Teach career lessons and facilitate the requirements necessary to meet GCIS and Bridge Bill...which includes career exploration in 3rd and 4th grades, completing a career presentation in 5th grade, and an interest inventory in 6th grade.
- Coordinate and facilitate the Core Essentials program that strives to teach essential character traits to all students.
- Work with Richard's Kids to identify and assist families as needs arise -(LIPT).
- Assist with coordinating and matching up students for our Mentor Program.
- Providing additional support for those students who have attendance concerns.
- Coordinating with teachers to collect materials for students who are on Hospital Homebound.
We offer the following school wide activities:
- Red Ribbon Week is held annually in October and features daily activities promoting a drug-free lifestyle and drug awareness.
- We participate in a school wide canned food drive in November to collect food and monetary donations for the Food Band of Northeast Georgia.
- 6th Grade Leadership Team meets bimonthly to learn leadership skills and promote responsibility.